Central Falls High School
Central Falls High School

Central Falls is the smallest city in Rhode Island encompassing 1.5 square miles. However, within its borders are over 18,000 residents, making it one of the most densely populated cities in the nation. Central Falls High School (CFHS) is an urban Senior High School that serves students from grades nine through twelve. It is centrally located within the city so that most of the students are able to walk to and from school. The school has a capacity rating of 960 students with a current enrollment at just over 1,000.

The 2005-2006 SALT survey reports the following information:

  • 96% of students are eligible for free or reduced lunch
  • 65% of the student body is of Hispanic origin, 13% White, 14% African American, 8% other
  • 25% of students receive ESL services
  • 21% receive SPED services
  • 12% of parents have a post-secondary degree
  • The total per student school expenditure was $11,798 (State 9,371)
  • 71.4% of students graduate
REMEMBERING RHODE ISLAND
Image

ANN & HOPE (the Original), Cumberland, RI - credited with pioneering many practices that are commonplace today in modern big box stores. The building and store were named after a ship, the Ann and Hope, which was lost at sea off of Block Island, Rhode Island in 1806.  All of the Ann & Hope department stores closed in the spring of 2001, except for the two Rhode Island stores: the original location in Cumberland and the store in Warwick. The two locations that remained open were downsized significantly and turned into off-price "outlet stores."

Image
RHODE ISLAND AUDITORIUM, North Main Street, Providence - Before the Civic Center this was the place for Concerts, Sports, Professional Wrestling, RI Reds Hockey!


Image
For more than 50 years ALMACS Supermarkets served the Southern New England area – They had over 30 stores throughout the state.  Sadly ALMACS closed their doors the mid 90's.
Image

ANDERSON LITTLE. A mens clothing store chain, Located on North Main Street, Providence.  Also in Lincoln Mall, Warwick, Newport (Middletown) & Woonsocket, RI.  Closed in 1987.

Image
NARRAGANSETT BREWING COMPANY  1890-1981 was founded in Cranston, Rhode Island in 1888. It was closed on July 31, 1981, and then re-established in 2005.  "Hi, Neighbor, have a 'Gansett!"
Image

CALDOR was a chain of American discount department stores based in Norwalk,CT.,   operating locations throughout the northeastern United States. At one time the company was a subsidiary of May Department Stores, and was also one of the largest discount retailers in the country.  Caldor had several locations in RI, including Woonsocket, Lincoln & Warwick. On January 22, 1999, Caldor announced it was liquidating its remaining merchandise and closing all of its 145 stores.

Image

CARVEL ICE CREAM, provided many happy memories for Rhode Islanders through the years. Fudgie the Whale and Cookiepuss were always a welcome site at a birthday party or holiday.  All the RI locations are now closed, Cranston being the last to fold in February 2009.  The novelties and cakes can still be purchased at supermarkets and even at a concession stand at the Providence Dunkin Donuts Center.

Image
CRESCENT PARK, Riverside, RI - Originated in 1886 - 1979.  Considered to be "The Coney Island of New England" it was most spectacular of all of Rhode Island's Victorian-era amusement parks. Amusement parks in those days included boating, games, picnics, music, tunnels of love, and, noteably, carousels. Crescent Park known for a grand carousel with 62 hand-carved figures and four chariots - carousel figures date from 1905 to 1910.  It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1987.
Image
CIRCUIT CITY, The troubled 60-year-old electronics chain tried its best to survive bankruptcy, but to no avail; now, it will liquidate its merchandise and close all 567 remaining stores. Closed march 2009 because of the magnitude of this giant chain, we decided to put it on our list...to remind people "buyer beware" when you don't shop local.  R.I.P. Circuit City.
Image

DAVOL MARKET PLACE.  At Point & Eddy Street, Providence.  Originally The Davol Rubber Company - founded in Providence in 1874 to produce rubber medical and surgical devices, such as hot water bottles and catheters. In 1934, the company began the manufacture of the Foley catheter.  Since Davol Rubber left, the building has had a series of tenants. The short-lived Davol Square Marketplace mall occupied the building complex in the 1980s. Later, it housed a mini-convention center for the costume jewelry industry for a short while. Various projects associated with Brown University have rented space in the building for many years, and the university recently announced plans to buy several buildings in the area.

Image
FANNY FARMER CANDY The Famous Fanny Farmer Chain!  Company was named in honor of culinary expert Fannie Farmer, who had died four years earlier. Closed in 1992 bought out buy bigger chain called Archibald Candy Corp. Which ironically owns a candy chain called Fannie May Candy shops. Known for delicious chocolates!  Was located at Lincoln Mall, Warwick Mall, Rhode Island Mall & Downtown Providence.

Image

Jenks Park/Cogswell Tower.  Donated by Alvin Jenks in 1890, the park was built around Dexter's Ledge. In 1676 during King Philips' War, Indian scouts saw the approach of a colonist band from the height. Indians and colonists engaged in Pierce's Fight at a site along the Blackstone River where Pierce Park now stands. In 1904 Cogswell Tower was built atop the ledge due to a bequest by Caroline Cogswell.

Image

S&H GREEN STAMPS REDEMPTION CENTER Green Stamps were a form of trading stamps popular in the United States between the 1930s and late 1980s. They formed a rewards program operated by the Sperry and Hutchinson company (S&H), founded in 1896 by Thomas Sperry and Shelly Hutchinson. During the 1960s, the rewards catalog printed by the company was the largest publication in the United States and the company issued three times as many stamps as the U.S. postal Service. Customers would receive stamps at the checkout counter of supermarkets, department stores, gas stations among other retailers, which could be redeemed for products in the catalog.

Image
KINNEY SHOES, opened 1918. - Known as America's Shoe Store it had several locations throughout Rhode Island.  Sadly it closed in 1998 due to financial difficulties. 
Image
LINCOLN DOWNS RACE TRACK, Opened in 1947, and was located in Lincoln.  Originally a race track for thoroughbred horses.  In 1977 the track switched to Greyhound racing.  Both were owned by B.A. Dario.  The location is now home to Twin River Gambling Casino.


Image
LOEW'S STATE THEATER is an historic site at 220 Weybosset Street in Providence, Rhode Island. Rhode Island's greatest and most beautiful historic motion picture palace ever. Later it was called Ocean State Theatre.  Now Providence Performing Arts Center.
Image
LONSDALE DRIVE-IN, Lincoln, RI. This was a fun place to see double bills in the 70's. Stayed open through the late 80's.
Image
LORD & TAYLOR was an upscale clothing store in Providence Place Mall. It was known to fashion buffs for its luxury, unique style trends & classics. It closed its doors 2007.  It reduced its stores due to economic times and unfortunately the Rhode Island store was one of the first to go. Based in New York it still operates today with the closest store in Boston.  It was one of the anchors for Providence Place Mall.
Image

MAMMOTH MART was a discount department store chain, located in the northeastern United States, primarily in the New England area.  Selling housewares, hardware and clothing in stark, unfussy buildings, usually in suburban shopping center locations.

Image
MARTY'S AUTOCRAT DINER, Marty's was located at the corner of Broad and Lockwood Street. Today it is a parking lot for Central High School.
Image
FOTOMAT, was a once widespread retail chain of photo development drive-thru kiosks located in shopping center parking lots. Fotomats were distinctive for their pyramid shaped gold-colored roofs and signs with red-lettering. They sold Kodak-brand film and other photography related products and promised one-day photo finishing. They hired young women to work in the small buildings and called them "Fotomates." The Fotomate uniform was a royal blue and yellow smock top. Young men hired were called "Fotomacs" and their uniform was a light blue polo shirt.  Chains Closed in the Mid- 80's.
Image

THOM McAN SHOES, Affordable fashion shoes for men & women. Had several locations including Downtown Providence, Midland Mall, Lincoln Mall & Warwick Mall - Closed in the late 80's after being bought out by K-Mart.  The brand is currently sold in Kmart stores, and consists of leather dress, casual, and athletic shoes (under its Tm Sport label). Until the 1990s, Thom McAn had hundreds of retail stores in the United States, and was one of the oldest and best known shoe retailers in the country.

Image
THE MILK CAN was located on 146, North Smithfield Ice Cream & Snacks, One of RI's first fast food restaurants. Still Located on 146 - Been Closed for years.

Image
NARRAGANSETT PARK was an American race track for Thoroughbred horse races. It was built in 1934 and located in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Some of its important races were the Rhode Island Handicap, Governors Handicap, and the Narragansett Special. In its heyday, the track hosted races in which numerous Thoroughbred greats competed such as War Admiral, Seabiscuit, and Gun Bow. Competition for the betting public saw the facility close in 1978. The following year, the city of Pawtucket bought the site for commercial and residential redevelopment. All that remains of the grounds today is the grandstand building, which is in use as an outlet for the discount retailer Building.
Image

J.J. NEWBERRY'S Was an American five and dime store chain in the twentieth century.  Located in Providence - Next Door to Woolworth.  J.J. Newberry's was one of the largest five & dimes in America.  It closed in the early 80's.

Image
THE OLD STONE BANK, Providence, was a popular Rhode Island banking institution.  Founded as a mutual savings bank, the Providence Institution for Savings, in 1819, It collapsed in the 1990s after the federal government convinced it to take over two failed savings and loan institutions, but reneged on its promise that it would not hurt the bank to do so.  Its mascot was Fred Flintstone, who would say in commercials "Yabba-dabba-doo, love that Old Stone Bank!"
Image

THE OUTLET COMPANY was a corporation based in Providence, Rhode Island which owned holdings in both retail and broadcasting. The store remained strong with its sole flagship location and dominated the field of retail in not only Providence, but Rhode Island as a whole.

Image
PEERLESS - Department store chain, a Rhode Island apparel retailer for more than 50 years, Located On the corner of Union Street & Westminster Street, Downtown Providence & in Pawtucket.
Image
PEOPLE'S BANK, It was located in the heart of the financial district in KENNEDY PLAZA down City providence, across from the ice rink. Redevelopment started August 2004 as luxury apartments.  This popular Rhode Island savings institution closed 1987.
Image

RI REDS HOCKEY. Both Rhode Island Reds and Providence Reds were the names that referred to the team during its 51-year history. To local fans, the club generally was called the R.I. Reds. Around the rest of the American Hockey League cities it was the Providence Reds.  Reds played at R.I. Auditorium or "The Arena" 1111 North Main Street in Providence 1926 through 1972. 

Image
THE ROCKY POINT AMUSEMENT PARK was a highly popular landmark on the Narragansett Bay side of Warwick, Rhode Island. It operated from the late 1840s until its close in 1995. The following year, the park filed for bankruptcy.

Image
ROCKY HILL STATE FAIR AND EXPO It ran from August 1942 to August 1989 It was one of the only family owned and run fairs in the country. 


Image

SHEPARD'S DEPARTMENT STORE In 1880, the Shepard Company Department Store opened in two floors of a small building at the corner of Westminster and Clemence Streets in downtown Providence. What was initially a small retail venture would by 1903 grow to be the largest department store in New England In 1974, suburban retail establishments finally took their competitive toll on the Shepard’s Department Store when it filed for bankruptcy, thus ending nearly one hundred years of business.

Image

THE STRAND THEATER 84 Washington Street, Providence.  The Strand opened on 12th June 1915 as a movie house.  Later it became a nightclub - Hosting up and coming bands.


 

Image
SLATER PARK ZOO, This zoo, while not a large as Roger Williams, was just as popular for a long time. Zoo started to show signs of "fading away" beginning during the 1970s. It's most popular resident was Fanny the Elephant. A former circus elephant she resided in Slater Park Zoo in Pawtucket, RI from 1958-93. She was moved to the Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch sanctuary in 1993 because the city closed the zoo exhibits due to financial crises. She lived the last 10 years of her life happily and died in 2003. A statue to her memory stands in Slater Park. Many, many Rhode Islanders at one time or another had probably fed her a peanut or two!  

Image
WARWICK MUSICAL THEATRE, Rt. 2 Warwick, Hosted some of the greatest stars from Paul Anka, Liberace to Frank Sinatra.  Known as "THE TENT"  - There is a Lowes Home Center at that location now.

Image
ARTHUR TREACHER'S FISH & CHIPS Over on Park Avenue, Cranston - Closed in the early 80's.
Image
WARWICK SHOPPERS WORLD - Several throughout RI - It carried everything from housewares to clothing "The Original Walmart". Taken over by Zayre's then taken over Ames. Closed in the late 70's.
Image
THE WHITE TOWER RESTAURANT Located In Olneyville, Providence. Long before Americans had McDonalds, there was the White Tower chain!  Famous For Great 35¢ Hamburgers. It closed in the late 70’s...the Waitress’s Dressed Like Nurses and were dubbed the "Towerettes".
Image
WOOLCO, One of the original anchor stores at the Lincoln Mall.  Was a full-line discount department store.  They were the discount division of Woolworth.  Closed in 1982.

Image
WOOLWORTH'S The F. W. Woolworth Company (often referred to as Woolworth's) was a retail company that was one of the original American five-and-dime stores. Despite growing to be one of the largest retail chains in the world through most of the 20th century, increased competition led to its decline beginning in the 1980s. In 1997, F. W. Woolworth Company converted itself into a sporting goods retailer, closing its remaining retail stores operating under the "Woolworth's" brand name and renaming itself Venator Group. By 2001, the company focused exclusively on the sporting goods market, changing its name to the present Foot Locker. One of the best things about Woolworth was that it had an old fashioned diner inside where you could get a hot dog and milkshake and all the kids would come and buy the old 45 rpm records they had the biggest selection anywhere.
Hit counter: 28765